Live music and live music venues took a big hit this year thanks to the global COVID-19 pandemic. That goes without saying. Music acts and venues from the independent level all the way up to the big names were force to put their live music plans on hold indefinitely as a result of the pandemic. However a glimmer of hope rose this week when Live Nation head Joe Berchtold was quoted by major media outlets as saying that he believed live music would return by summer 2021. One can only hope that Mr. Berchtold is right, and that when it does return, audiences will welcome its return rather than let the germaphobes control their minds. Until then, audiences do have lots of live music to enjoy on CD, DVD and Blu-ray that was released this year. Hammerfall released its latest live recording Live! Against The World this year. Dream Theater also dropped its new live recording Distant Memories: Live in London. Metallica even celebrated the anniversary of its landmark S&M show with the release of S&M2. These are just some of the recordings that made Phil’s Picks 2020 Top 10 New Live Recordings. They were joined by new live material from the likes of Myrath, The Rolling Stones, and Kamelot.
As with each list from Phil’s Picks, this collection features the Top 10 new titles in the given category and five additional honorable mention titles for a total of 15 titles. Without any further ado, here is Phil’s Picks 2020 Top 10 New Live Recordings.
PHIL’S PICKS 2020 TOP 10 NEW LIVE RECORDINGS
- Hammerfall – Live! Against The World
- Jimi Hendrix – Live in Maui
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra – A Swingin’ Sesame Street Celebration
- Def Leppard – London to Vegas
- The Rolling Stones – Steel Wheels Live
- Devin Townsend – Order of Magnitude: Empath Live Volume 1
- John Lee Hooker – Live at Montreux 1983 & 1990
- Waylon Jennings – The Outlaw Perrformances
- Myrath – Live in Carthage
- Kamelot – I Am The Empire Live from the 013
- Dream Theater – Distant Memories: Live in London
- Metallica – S&M2
- Delta Rae – Coming Home To Carolina
- Bush – Live in Tampa
- Dee Snider – For The Love of Metal
Up next from Phil’s Picks is one of the last three music categories of the year, Phil’s Picks 2020 Top 10 New Rock Albums. After that will be the year’s top new hard rock & metal albums, and then last but not least, the year’s top new albums overall. From there, it’ll be on to the DVDs and Blu-rays in all of their categories. Stay tuned for all of that.
To keep up with the latest entertainment news and reviews, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest entertainment news and reviews in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.