The worlds of jazz and blues are intertwined with one another and have been for ages. From their earliest days to the modern era, a close listen to records from the two genres exhibits this connection. Keeping that in mind, it makes sense to combine the two genres when considering year-ender lists.That is just what this critic has done for years and is doing again this year. This year’s list of top new jazz and blues albums touches on lots of different artists and groups. The Jazz AT Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis has released a handful of noteworthy albums this year, as has World Music Network. Blues artists Keb Mo and Kenny Wayne Shepherd are also featured on this year’s list with their new albums. The same can be said of Diana Panton, as her new album is featured in this list, too.
As with every list this critic produces, it features the year’s top 10 new albums and five honorable mention titles for a total of 15 albums. Without any further ado, here is Phil’s Picks Top 10 New Jazz & Blues albums.
PHIL’S PICKS 2019 TOP 10 NEW JAZZ & BLUES ALBUMS
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra w/ Wynton Marsalis — Jazz & Art
- Joel Ross — Kingmaker
- Diana Panton — Cheerful Little Earful
- World Music Network — The Rough Guide To Blues Divas
- Mark Clive De-Lowe — Heritage
- Mark Clive De-Lowe — Heritage II
- Keb Mo — Oklahoma
- Pancho Sanchez — Trane’s Delight
- Tedeschi Trucks Band — Signs
- Miles Davis — Rubberband
- John Coletrane — Coletrane ’58; The Prestige Sessions
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra w/ Wynton Marsalis — Big Band Holidays II
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra w/ Wynton Marsalis — Jazz For Kids
- World Music Network — The Rough Guide To World Jazz
- The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band — The Traveler
To keep up with the latest entertainment reviews and news, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest entertainment reviews and news in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.