Experiencing a live performance by one’s favorite acts is a special experience. The sights and sounds — from the performance itself to the enjoyment and excitement experienced alongside other fans — come together to make the live experience something almost as magical as it is memorable. Of course it’s not always that easy to have that experience because of work, family or maybe other items. Enter the live DVD and Blu-ray. These recordings are pivotal for audiences the world over because people don’t always get to see their favorite acts. They also often prove to give audiences an experience that is at least slightly different from that offered in their CD counterparts. Keeping that in mind, it is fully justifiable for critics to present lists of the year’s top new live DVDs and Blu-rays as well as live CDs. That is exactly what this critic is doing here.
This year, as with so many years past, Eagle Rock Entertainment has proven to have the majority of the year’s top new live DVDs and Blu-rays, once again proving why it is the leader in live recordings. Of course it is not the only label represented in this critic’s list this year. Live recordings from The Winery Dogs, The Dead Daisies, and even famed songwriter Richard Sherman (one half of the famed Sherman Brothers creative team) are all on the list, too alongside new material from Between The Buried and Me and Michael Schenker. Those noted recordings are all from other labels. In other words, this year saw a healthy range of new live DVDs and Blu-rays. With that in mind, here for your consideration is Phil’s Picks’ 2017 Top 10 New Live DVDs and Blu-rays. As always, the list includes this critic’s Top 10 choices as well as five additional honorable mention titles, for a total of 15 titles. Let’s go!
PHIL’S PICKS 2017 TOP 10 NEW LIVE DVDS/BDs
- Richard Sherman: Songs of a Lifetime
- Tedeschi Trucks Band — Live From The Fox Oakland
- Slipknot — Day of the Gusano
- Mumford & Sons — Live From South Africa
- Between The Buried and Me — Coma Ecliptic
- Black Sabbath — The End
- Jeff Beck — Live at the Hollywood Bowl
- The Rolling Stones — Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda Theatre 2015
- The Who — Tommy Live at the Royal Albert Hall
- The Winery Dogs — Dog Years: Live in Santiago and Beyond 2013 – 2016
- Eagles of Death Metal — I Love You All The Time — Live at the Olympia Paris
- Sting — Live at the Olympia Paris
- Spock’s Beard — Snow Live
- The Dead Daisies — Live & Louder
- Michael Schenker — Michael Schenker Fest Live Tokyo International Forum Hall
That’s all for this list and still not all for the live recordings. Still to consider is the whole of the combo packs and the standalone recordings. In other words, there is still a list of the year’s top new live recordings overall to consider. Also still on the way are the year’s top new albums as well as a handful of DVD and Blu-ray lists. As many as possible will be covered before the year lets out, so stay tuned for all of that.
To keep up with the latest sports and entertainment reviews and news, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest sports and entertainment reviews and news in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.