ESPN, the Worldwide Leader in Sports, debuted its very first trailer in its promotional campaign for the 2014 FIFA World Cup yesterday, during the 100th annual Rose Bowl. The spot, which runs barely over a minute, spans the rich history of the tournament, which goes back decades. One of the more notable moments included in the clip are: the Dutch and German flags being exchanged by Germany’s Franz Beckenbauer and Dutch captain Johan Cruyff before the start of the 1974 Final. Cameroonian striker Roger Milla’s famous dance from 1990 is also included, as is Paolo Rossi raising the cup for Italy in 1982 among so many other moments. The full list of those moments in question is listed below.
- Pele and his triumphant celebration in 1970
- Germany’s Franz Beckenbauer and Dutch captain Johan Cruyff exchanging flags moments before the 1974 Final
- Diego Maradona and his brilliant performance for Argentina in 1986
- Zinedine Zidane, whose epic performance for France led the host country to win the Cup in 1998
- Andres Iniesta, whose beautiful strike sealed Spain’s first World Cup title in 2010
- Cameroonian striker Roger Milla’s famous dance in 1990
- Dutch legend Johan Cruyff’s immortal turn in 1974
- England striker Geoff Hurst’s record-setting three-goal performance in a World Cup title match in 1966
- Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp’s memorable touch against Argentina in 1998
- Carlos Alberto’s wonder-strike for Brazil in 1970
- Paolo Rossi hoisting the cup for Italy in 1982
- And Landon Donovan’s celebration after his last-gasp winner against Algeria earned the U.S. Men’s National Team a place in the single-elimination rounds in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa.
The spot comes to a head by showing some of today’s top names in soccer that hope to hoist the cup this year. Those that didn’t get to see the spot during yesterday’s broadcast of the Rose Bowl can see it now on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sy6kawwwpU&feature=youtu.be. A longer ninety-second clip is also available for viewing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrf5EBVlDs&feature=youtu.be.
This year’s FIFA World Cup Tournament will take place Thursday, June 12th – Sunday, July 13th. More information on the FIFA World Cup Tournament is available online at http://www.facebook.com/ESPNFC and http://www.espnfc.com. To keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.