Shout! Factory announced the bonus features for its upcoming home release of Space: 1999 — The Complete Series this week.
According to a news release sent by the company Monday, the 13-disc set will feature a variety of extras for audiences, such as new interviews with director Kevin Connor, actors Barbara Bain and Nick Tate, and new audio commentaries.
Along with the noted extras, the collection, which will be available on DVD and Blu-ray, will also feature other new extras, such as “Moonbase Merch: A Tour of Space: 1999 Ephemera with author John Muir. As if these new featurettes are not enough for audiences, the new collection will also feature a variety of classic bonuses, such as an interview with Sylvia Anderson (wife of fellow Space: 1999 head Gerry Anderson) and an in-depth vintage retrospective on the most iconic moments from the series. The series’ full list of bonus features is noted below.
- NEW Mission To Moonbase Alpha: An Interview With Actress Barbara Bain
- NEW Into The Uncertain Future: An Interview With Actor Nick Tate
- NEW Brain Behind The Destruction: An Interview With Director Kevin Connor
- NEW Moonbase Merch: A Tour Of Space:1999 Ephemera With Author John Muir
- NEW Audio Commentary By Author Anthony Taylor On “Dragon’s Domain” And “The Metamorph”
- NEW Audio Commentary By Space:1999 Series Expert Scott Michael Bosco On “Ring Around The Moon”
- Audio Commentary By Series Co-Creator Gerry Anderson On “Breakaway” And “Dragon’s Domain”
- “These Episodes” – Nearly 100 Minutes Of Reflections On Some Of Space:1999’s Iconic Episodes From The People Who Made Them
- “Memories Of Space” Featurette
- Interview With Sylvia Anderson
- Guardian Of Piri Remembered With Actress Catherine Schell
- Vintage Year Two Interviews
- Vintage Brian Johnson Interview
- Behind The Scenes Footage With Brian Johnson Commentary
- Concept And Creation Featurette
- Special Effects And Design Featurette
- Martin Landau And Barbara Bain TV Promos
- Promos For Year One And Year Two
- Trailers For Destination Moonbase Alpha And Alien Attack
- Blackpool “Space City” Exhibition Advert
- Lyons Maid Ice Lolly Advert
- Mono And 5.1 Audio On All Episodes
- Photo Galleries
- 16 Page Episode Guide
Space: 1999 is scheduled for release July 16 through Shout! Factory. The release marks the first time that the short-lived series, which came from the minds of Thunderbirds creators Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, will receive a full domestic release. It was most recently released in a full set overseas via Network in 2017.
The 48-episode series, which spans 13 discs in this new set, opens in September 1999. A nuclear waste dump on the moon unexpectedly explodes, sending the moon and the inhabitants of the moon base Alpha spinning through space.Led by John Koenig (Martin Landau — Ed Wood, North by Northwest, Tucker: The Man and His Dream), the crew faces a variety of challenges and obstacles as they strive to return to Earth.
Barbara Bain (Mission: Impossible, Pacific Edge, American Gun), Barry Morse (The Changeling, The Twilight Zone, The Adventurer) and Catherine Schell (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, The Return of the Pink Panther, Doctor Who) also join the cast as Dr. Helena Russell, Victor Bergman and Maya respectively.
The first 500 orders for Space: 1999 from Shout! Factory will receive a limited edition Space: 1999 snow globe as an added gift. The snow globe features and Eagle Transporter landing on the moon. The globe has a 4-inch circumference and 2-inch base.
More information on this and other titles from Shout! Factory is available online now at:
To keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.