Audiences now know the track listing for the upcoming Gang of Four tribute record The Problem of Leisure: A Celebration of Andy Gill and Gang of Four.
The record, which is scheduled for release in May, will feature performances from a who’s who of the rock community. Artists and acts, such as Gary Numan (whose new album Intruder is scheduled for release in May), the Dandy Warhols, and Killing Joke are all listed on the track listing for the 2LP vinyl set. Pre-orders for the compilation are open.
Serj Tankian (System of a Down) and Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, Prophets of Rage) premiered the compilation’s lead single last week, a cover of Group of Four’s hit single ‘Natural’s Not In It.’
Prior to his passing last year, Gill had envisioned the new compilation record as a celebration marking 40 years since the release of Entertainment! Following his death, that changed, and artists instead opted to lay out the compilation’s body with works that represented much more of Gang of Four’s catalog, according to Gill’s widow Catherine Mayer.
Mayer said in her comments, that Gill approved of the changes.
“Andy was massively excited about this project,”said Mayer. “It wasn’t of course conceived as a tribute album, but it’s comforting to me that he lived to see artists he hugely admired enthusiastically agreeing to participate, signaling that the admiration was mutual.”
The full track listing for The Problem of Leisure: A Celebration of Andy Gill and Gang of Four is noted below.
The Problem of Leisure: CD One
Vinyl One, Side A
- IDLES – Damaged Goods (UK)
- Tom Morello & Serj Tankian – Natural’s Not in It (USA)
- Helmet – In the Ditch (USA)
- 3D* x Gang of Four feat. Nova Twins – Where the Nightingale Sings (UK)
- Hotei – To Hell With Poverty (Japan)
Vinyl One, Side B
- Gary Numan – Love Like Anthrax (UK)
- Gail Ann Dorsey – We Live as We Dream, Alone (USA)
- Herbert Grönemeyer feat. Alex Silva – I Love a Man in a Uniform (Germany)
- LoneLady – Not Great Men (UK)
- JJ Sterry – 5.45 (UK)
The Problem of Leisure: CD Two
Vinyl Two, Side C
- La Roux – Damaged Goods (UK)
- Everything Everything – Natural’s Not in It (UK)
- Dado Villa-Lobos – Return the Gift (Brazil)
- The Dandy Warhols – What We All Want (USA)
- Warpaint – Paralysed (USA)
Vinyl Two, Side D
- Flea & John Frusciante – Not Great Men (USA)
- The Sounds – I Love a Man in a Uniform (Sweden)
- Hardcore Raver in Tears – Last Mile** (China)
- Killing Joke x Gang of Four – Forever Starts Now (Killing Joke Dub) (UK)
- Sekar Melati – Not Great Men (live version) (Japan)
* 3D is the remix name of Robert Del Naja from Massive Attack
** “Last Mile” is the new title for this cover of “Broken Talk”, reflecting new lyrics sung in Mandarin by Hardcore Raver in Tears
More information on the compilation is available along with all of Gang of Four’s latest news at:
To keep up with the latest entertainment news and reviews, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest entertainment news and reviews in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.