Universal Music will mark the 100th anniversary of Nat King Cole’s birth in March with two new compilations.
Ultimate Nat King Cole and International Nat King Cole are scheduled to be released March 15 via Universal Music. The company has partnered with Capitol Records for each collection’s release. On the same day, an expanded edition of Marvin Gaye’s classic album A Tribute to the Great Nat King Cole will be released via Universal Music and Motown.
Ultimate Nat King Cole will be available on CD and digital, with a 2LP release to follow on June 14. International Nat King Cole will be available on CD. That record features a new duet of ‘The Girl From Impanema’ that pairs Blue Note Records artist Gregory Porter with Cole’s original vocal line. Porter’s latest album Nat King Cole and Me has been nominated for an award at this year’s Grammy ceremony.
Porter’s tribute to Cole is just one of the 21 songs featured on Ultimate Nat King Cole. Also featured in the record’s body are songs, such as ‘Unforgettable,’ ‘Mona Lisa’ and ‘Straighten Up And Fly Right.’
International Nat King Cole is a limited edition, 14-song compilation that features Cole’s songs recorded in languages other than English in 1964 at Capitol Studios.
Each record features newly-written essays by actor and award-winning writer James Ritz.
While Cole was largely known for his musical accomplishments, he was just as well-known and respected for his contributions to the civil rights movement. In 1946, he broadcast a 15-minute program called “King Cole Trio Time,” which was the first of its kind to be hosted by an African-American musician.
He became the first major African-American entertainer to host his own national TV show, Nat King Cole Show, which aired on NBC. The program aired weekly on NBC from November 1956 to December 1957. The series was canceled because it lacked enough sponsors to keep it running. It lacked sponsors because marketers were afraid to upset white audiences at the time by advertising on a program hosted by an African-American.
Along with his work on radio and television, Cole also appeared in a number of movies, such as St. Louis Blues (1958) and Cat Ballou (1965). Additionally, he received a Special Achievement Award from the Golden Globes in 1963.
The track listing for all three upcoming Nat King Cole collections is noted below.
Ultimate Nat King Cole [CD; digital; 2LP vinyl]
1. (Get Your Kicks On) Route 66
2. Straighten Up And Fly Right
3. (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons
4. Sweet Lorraine
6. Walkin’ My Baby Back Home
7. Mona Lisa
9. Quizas, Quizas, Quizas (Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps)
10. Love Me As Though There Were No Tomorrow
12. Orange Colored Sky
13. When I Fall In Love
14. The Very Thought Of You
16. Let There Be Love
17. Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer
20. Nature Boy
21. The Girl From Ipanema (with Gregory Porter)
International Nat King Cole [CD]
1. L-O-V-E (French Version)
2. Les Feuilles Mortes (Autumn Leaves / French Version)
3. Crois-Moi Ca Durera (You’ll See / French Version)
4. Le Bonheur C’est Quand On S’aime
5. Vous Qui Passez Sans Me Voir (Passing By / French Version)
6. L-O-V-E (German Version)
7. Muetterlein (Answer Me, My Love / German Version)
8. L-O-V-E (Japanese Version)
9. I Don’t Want To Be Hurt Anymore (Japanese Version)
10. Kareha (Autumn Leaves / Japanese Version)
11. L-O-V-E (Spanish Version)
12. Tu Eres Tan Amable
13. L-O-V-E (Italian Version)
14. Tu Sei Cosi Amabile
Marvin Gaye: A Tribute To The Great Nat King Cole (Expanded Edition) [digital]
2. I Wish You Love
3. If I Had To Go
4. So In Love
5. The End Of A Love Affair
6. The More I See You
7. Violets For Your Furs
8. You’re All That Matter To Me
9. Nature Boy / original mono LP mix
10. Ramblin’ Rose / original mono LP mix
11. Too Young / original mono LP mix
12. Pretend / original mono LP mix
13. Straighten Up and Fly Right / original mono LP mix
14. Mona Lisa / original mono LP mix
15. Unforgettable / original mono LP mix
16. To the Ends of the Earth / original mono LP mix
17. Sweet Lorraine / original mono LP mix
18. It’s Only a Paper Moon / original mono LP mix
19. Send for Me / original mono LP mix
20. Calypso Blues / original mono LP mix
21. Unforgettable / original California version, take 2
22. Send for Me / original California version, take 1
23. Send for Me / original California version, take 3
24. Ramblin’ Rose / alternate vocal
25. Too Young / alternate vocal, take 1
26. Send for Me / alternate vocal, take 1
More information on the upcoming releases is available online now at:
To keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews, go online to http://www.facebook.com/philspicks and “Like” it. Fans can always keep up with the latest sports and entertainment news and reviews in the Phil’s Picks blog at https://philspicks.wordpress.com.